All children throughout Char-Em ISD preparing to start kindergarten in the fall of 2020 are eligible to receive a free Kindergarten Readiness Tote, filled with fun activities to help build excitement for starting their schooling years.
The Kindergarten Readiness Totes are a project of the Great Start Collaborative & Parent Coalition, informed by the work of the School Readiness Advisory Committee. The School Readiness Advisory Committee is comprised of parents and a variety of early childhood professionals, including preschool and kindergarten teachers and educational coaches. Funding for this project is provided through the Great Start Collaborative of Charlevoix, Emmet & Northern Antrim Counties.
“The aim of the project is to connect schools and families across the Charlevoix-Emmet ISD geographic region in kindergarten readiness efforts. Through this project, we hope that everyone involved broadens their definition of ‘Kindergarten Readiness,’ to include ready communities, ready schools and ready families,” said Maureen Hollocker, Great Start Collaborative Director.
Specific readiness goals include to:
- Promote resilience in parents and caregivers by valuing and supporting them as they prepare their child and family in the transition to kindergarten.
- Build positive social connections in parents and children by connecting them to the Great Start Parent Coalition through social media and in-person gatherings.
- Support parents and caregivers as their child’s first and most important teacher by helping them understand their role in supporting their children’s transition to kindergarten and building their knowledge about of age-appropriate expectations.
- Provide concrete support in the form of school supplies that can be used over the summer to boost specific readiness skills.
- Foster social and emotional competence of children by encouraging parents to talk, read and sing with their children in everyday moments.
“In this third year of the project, we have expanded our reach by making the totes available to every school within our geographic region. Also new this year, the tote bag highlights our Talking is Teaching campaign with a ‘Let’s Talk About Kindergarten’ graphic.”
The Great Start Parent Coalition is in the process of delivering the totes to schools, which will then distribute them to families through their current kindergarten registration and round-up process. For more information about this project, visit: www.GreatStartForKids.com or email: email@example.com.
Caption for main photo: Future kindergarten student, Grady Vieau, receives his Kindergarten Readiness Tote from Sara Broman, Pellston Elementary School secretary, during their recent drive-through round-up event.