Char-Em ISD is a regional education service agency serving the public schools of Charlevoix, Emmet and northern Antrim counties.
Our primary mission is to provide leadership and services that enhance the delivery of instruction for our 11 constituent school districts and assisting other public and parochial schools. We match services, materials and personnel in the areas of special education, school improvement, professional development, early childhood, vocational education, school safety, and administrative/business services, among other areas of expertise, to the needs of our local schools.
Char-Em ISD at-a-glance:
- 9,400 students in 11 local public school districts, 6 private schools, and 3 public school academies
- over 1,200 students with disabilities ages birth-26 who receive special education services
- approx. 2,000 students in career and technical (vocational) education
- 1,005 square miles and over 800 school personnel in the ISD area
Char-Em ISD coordinates all Career and Technical Education programs operated at the public high schools. The 41 programs serve approximately 2,000 high school juniors and seniors from throughout our service area. Approximately 1,200 students receive special education services within the Char-Em ISD service area. More than 100 of those students attend a Char-Em Program classroom located at the Patricia A. Taylor School for Exceptional Learners, Boyne Valley Education Center, or within one of our local school district buildings. Monitoring these programs is a mandated service provided by Char-Em ISD.
We invite you to take a look at what we are, who we serve and take some time to review our core services.
Thank you for your interest and support!
Jeff Crouse, Superintendent
Scott Koziol, Director of Instructional Services
Ben Hicks, Director of Special Education
Jill Haan, Director of Early Childhood
Jim Rummer, Career and Technical Education Director
Scott Hewitt, Director of Technology
Beth Anne Piehl, Communications Coordinator
Julie Hersha, Administrative Assistant
08568 Mercer Blvd.
Charlevoix, MI 49720
Boyne City ISD
1313 Boyne Ave.
Boyne City, MI 49712
Patricia A. Taylor School for Exceptional Learners
1515 Cemetery Road
Petoskey, MI 49770
Char-Em ISD has worked behind the scenes with its member school districts – collectively and individually – to help meet the needs of their students, parents, support staff, teachers, administrators and board members. In a nutshell, Char-Em ISD:
- provides local school districts with school improvement consultation, assessment services, and curriculum and instruction assistance to support improved student achievement.
- offers the latest workshops, seminars and classes – for teachers, administrators, transportation department staff, bus drivers, secretaries, board members, other school staff and parents – featuring up-to-date technologies, techniques and methods.
- provides consultant assistance, research assistance, and resources including journals, books, curriculum materials, Internet access, videotapes, digital videodisks, computer software, and assistive technology.
- coordinates programs and services that are too expensive for a single school district to operate or that are very specialized and serve only a few students, including direction educational services for youth/adults with special needs from birth through age 25.
- performs regulatory functions on behalf of the Michigan Department of Education including pupil accounting and special education monitoring and compliance.
Annually, Char-Em ISD Board of Education adopts priorities that are developed each year using a process that accommodates input from the community, constituent school districts and ISD staff.
The ISD’s priorities are consistent with its mission and vision and are presented in three categories – Educational Programming, School Support Services, and Leadership. The priorities dictate that the ISD must maintain a culture characterized by continuous learning.