Driver’s License Road Testing
State Certified Road Test Examiners
Charlevoix, Emmet, and Antrim Counties
24 Hour Voice Mail System
NOTE: Tests are conducted by appointment only
Operator’s License Road Testers
Genna Kieliszewski – Charlevoix (Community Reform Church at the corner of US 31 & Meech St.) or Petoskey (North Central Michigan College, 1515 Howard Street)
231.547.9812, ext. 42028
Peter Shrift – Charlevoix (Community Reform Church at the corner of US 31 & Meech St.) or Petoskey (North Central Michigan College, 1515 Howard Street)
231.547.9812, ext. 42030
Motorcycle/CDL Road Tester
Motorcycle Testing in Boyne City (1313 Boyne Avenue) ~ CDL in Petoskey (NCMC, 1515 Howard Street)
231.547.9812, ext. 42301
NOTE: Motorcycle tests are given in Boyne City only
|Test||Fee Per Test*|
|Automobile License Testing||$65|
|Motorcycle License Testing||$50|
|CDL A & B Trucks||$160|
|CDL BPS – CPS – Buses||$150|
* Exact cash, check or money order is accepted. Credit cards are not accepted.
Preparation Materials for Driving Test Review
- “What Every Driver Must Know” is available free of charge at any Secretary of State Branch Office.
- View the “Road Skills Test Study Guide” . It is also available free of charge at any Secretary of State Branch Office.
- See pages 13-16 for the Basic Skills section
- Review the list of “automatic failures” on pages 11-13
- See pages 10-11 for a complete list of required safety equipment
- View the “Michigan Graduated Driver License: A Guide for Parents” . It is also available at any Secretary of State Branch Office.
You must complete the following steps to pass your driving test:
Step 1: You must have proper documentation.
- Documentation Required for Driving Test
- Current proof of insurance
- Current vehicle registration
If under 18 years of age
- Segment 2 Card (it is white, not green)
- Level 1 Graduated Learner’s License (issued at least six months prior to the test date)
- One parent or legal guardian is required to be present. (No other person will be allowed in the car during the test)
If 18 years of age or older
- Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP)
- Must include the following:
- Date of Issue (must be 30 days since issued unless waiting period was waived by the Secretary of State)
- Driver’s License Number
- Date of Birth
- NOTE: If you need a replacement, take it to a Secretary of State Branch Office and have a duplicate copy made. Make sure the clerk marks the duplicate with the original date of issue.
- Must include the following:
- Any current license issued by another state or country.
Step 2: The vehicle’s safety equipment must all be in working order.
- Required Vehicle Safety Equipment
- All brake lights, including the center brake light
- All signal lights (front/back, left/right)
- Horn must work
- Both headlights and wipers (if the weather is rainy, foggy or snowy)
- Other safety equipment as specified in the “Road Skills Test Study Guide”
Step 3: You must pass the Basic Controls Skills Test.
Step 4: You must pass the Road Skills Test.
NOTE: A full road test will typically take 45-50 minutes. You must pass all four steps on the same day. If any one step is failed, you must reschedule your road test and pay the full testing fee again.
Did You Know?
- Over 10% of applicants are turned away from the Road Test site because of document and/or equipment problems.
- The most common actions resulting in road test failure are:
- turning from the wrong lane
- turning left in front of oncoming traffic
- turning left at a flashing red light without stopping
- turning right on a red light without stopping
- two times over the speed limit by 4 mph or more
- The most common actions resulting in road test failure for buses are:
- railroad crossings
- student stop