Literacy Coaches are onsite in several Char-Em ISD districts. The Char-Em ISD Literacy Network is also working to help Literacy efforts in schools and districts where our Coaches are not on-site. Our goal with both of these options is to ensure effective leadership and instruction that results in the development of students’ independent literacy skills. The Literacy Essentials provide our Coaches with the framework in supporting our teachers.
The 10 Literacy Essentials are listed below:
- Deliberate, research-informed efforts to foster literacy motivation and engagement within and across lessons
- Read-alouds of age-appropriate books and other materials, print or digital
- Small group and individual instruction, using a variety of grouping strategies, most often with flexible groups formed and instruction targeted to children’s observed and assessed needs in specific aspects of literacy development
- Activities that build phonological awareness
- Explicit instruction in letter-sound relationships
- Research- and standards-aligned writing instruction
- Intentional and ambitious efforts to build vocabulary and content knowledge
- Abundant reading material and reading opportunities in the classroom
- Ongoing observation and assessment of children’s language and literacy development that informs their education
- Collaboration with families in promoting literacy
Schools that implement these Essentials will provide their students with the opportunity to develop the literacy skills necessary to be successful in college, career, and lifelong learning.