Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Our Mission Statement

It is the mission of Charlevoix-Emmet Intermediate School District to provide leadership and services to local school districts.

It is the vision of Charlevoix-Emmet Intermediate School District to be an indispensable partner with every district we serve.

Applying for financial aid is an important step for many students and families. It’s something every student should do whether they plan to attend a trade school, community college or university. There are no fees to apply for financial aid.

Following are resources for students and families regarding financial aid and scholarships:

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The FAFSA is a form used to apply for student financial aid from the federal and state government, as well as most colleges and universities. The government uses the information from your FAFSA to determine your expected family contribution.

Many Char-Em ISD schools host a financial aid awareness program and a FAFSA workshop event. Check with your school for dates and times.

Students may begin applying for FAFSA Oct. 1 each year and they are highly encouraged to complete it before March 1 of the following year.

Before applying, the student and a parent/guardian will need to create an Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. Create that ID here.

What information do I need to bring when I fill out the FAFSA? Here’s a checklist!

You should have the following information and documents with you as you fill out the Free Application for FAFSA:

  • Your Social Security number
  • Your parents’ Social Security numbers if you are providing parent information
  • Your driver’s license number if you have one
  • Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. citizen
  • You will always need the tax return from two years prior. For example, for the 2021-22 FAFSA, you will need 2019 tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse, if you are married), and for your parents if you are providing parent information
  • Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans non-education benefits, for you, and for your parents if you are providing parent information
  • Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including real estate but not including the home in which you live; and business and farm assets for you, and for your parents if you are providing parent information

Questions? Contact Kelly Miller at (231) 582-8070.

Visit FAFSA online

Important note: Never pay to apply for the FAFSA. It is free. Be aware of fraudulent websites charging to apply.

Community Foundations

Community Foundations in Northern Michigan offer scholarships for students attending trade schools, community colleges and universities.

Charlevoix County Community Foundation Grants and Scholarships

Petoskey-Harbor Springs Area Community Foundation Grants and Scholarships

Tuition Incentive Program

The Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) encourages eligible Medicaid recipients to complete high school by providing tuition assistance during an eligible student’s qualifying certificate or associate degree program and also during the student’s bachelor’s degree program.


  • Student must have (or have had) Medicaid coverage for 24 months within a 36-consecutive month period between the ages of nine and high school graduation.
  • Complete the TIP application no later than Aug. 31 of the academic year in which the student graduates from high school or its recognized equivalent.
  • Obtain a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent prior to age 20.
    • Students who attend a state-approved Early/Middle College have until age 21 to graduate and complete a TIP application.
  • Be a Michigan resident as determined by institutional criteria.
  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or approved refugee.
  • Not be incarcerated (does not include detention of a juvenile in a State-operated or privately-operated detention facility).
  • Not be in default on a Federal/State student loan.
  • Be enrolled at least half-time.
  • For renewal, must meet institution’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.

Visit the Tuition Incentive Program website

Questions? Contact Kelly Johnson at Char-Em ISD, (231) 582-8070, or your high school counselor.

Service club scholarships

Many local service clubs, such as Rotary and Kiwanis, offer scholarships. Consider researching what scholarships might be available with your local service club.

College/university scholarships

Be sure to check the website of the school to which you are applying to check for freshmen, currently enrolled students, and transfer student scholarships.

Translate »