Char-Em ISD has worked behind the scenes with its member school districts - collectively and individually - to help meet the needs of their students, parents, support staff, teachers, administrators and board members. In a nutshell, Char-Em ISD:
- provides local school districts with school improvement consultation, assessment services, and curriculum and instruction assistance to support improved student achievement.
- offers the latest workshops, seminars and classes - for teachers, administrators, transportation department staff, bus drivers, secretaries, board members, other school staff and parents - featuring up-to-date technologies, techniques and methods.
- provides consultant assistance, research assistance, and resources including journals, books, curriculum materials, Internet access, videotapes, digital videodisks, computer software, and assistive technology.
- coordinates programs and services that are too expensive for a single school district to operate or that are very specialized and serve only a few students, including direction educational services for youth/adults with special needs from birth through age 25.
- performs regulatory functions on behalf of the Michigan Department of Education including pupil accounting and special education monitoring and compliance.
Annually, Char-Em ISD Board of Education adopts priorities that are developed each year using a process that accommodates input from the community, constituent school districts and ISD staff.
The ISD's priorities are consistent with its mission and vision and are presented in three categories - Educational Programming, School Support Services, and Leadership. The priorities dictate that the ISD must maintain a culture characterized by continuous learning.